In this practical guide, globally recognized renewable energy researcher and professor Henrik Lund describes the modeling and simulation techniques that can be utilised to ensure at the outset of any renewable energy project that the resources available will meet supply demands. A clear, comprehensive methodology is set forth for comparing different energy systems' abilities to integrate fluctuating and intermittent renewable energy sources. Dr. Lund offers a freely available accompanying software tool, EnergyPLAN, that automates and simplifies the calculations supporting such detailed comparative analysis. The book further presents concrete design examples derived from a dozen successfully implemented renewable energy systems around the globe. It makes recommendations on the first steps of large-scale integration, focusing on the more immediate issue of conversion, rather than storage technologies.
The text also undertakes the socio-political realities governing the implementation of renewable energy systems. Dr. Lund makes clear that it is the work of professionals in the renewables field to raise awareness that alternatives DO exist and that it is indeed economically and technically viable to choose renewable energy systems. To aid readers in that task, the book presents key strategies on how to overcome the inherent lethargy of entrenched institutions that seek to reinforce the status quo when confronted with objectives implying the need for radical technological change. After all, knowing there IS a choice is half the battle.
- Provides an introduction to the technical design of renewable energy systems
- Demonstrates effective methodologies for analyzing the feasibility and efficiency of large-scale renewable energy systems to help implementers avoid costly trial and error
- Contextualizes renewable energy design efforts by addressing the socio-political challenge of implementing the shift to renewables
- Free companion analysis software empowers energy professionals to crunch data for their own projects
- Features a dozen extensive case studies from around the globe that provide successful real-world templates for new installations