Sometimes you just need to solve a problem and get on with your work. To that end, Visual Basic 2008 Recipes is a compendium of practical solutions for busy VB .NET programmers. Create time for the more interesting aspects of your VB .NET project by solving common problems with the practical solutions and dozens of code examples in this book. Important new .NET 3.5 technologies, such as Windows Presentation Framework (WPF) and Language Integrated Query (LINQ), are covered, and each chapter addresses a specific problem domain, including database access, multimedia, XML manipulation, networking, and security. The code is free to download so you can use the recipes immediately.
- Take advantage of quality, ready–made solutions to common Visual Basic programming problems.
- Avoid the tedium of having to reinvent the wheel. Focus instead on the more interesting problems specific to your application.
- Learn from and be inspired by what the authors have done. Use their work as stepping stones to solve even more complex problems.
What you’ll learn
- Cleanly separate user–interface logic from business logic through the use of .NET 3.5’s WPF.
- Store data to and retrieve data from your relational database using LINQ.
- Manipulate XML data using LINQ.
- Make your programs dynamically configurable through the judicious application of reflection.
- Take advantage of multiple CPU cores by writing multithreaded applications.
- Integrate multimedia into your Visual Basic projects.
Who is this book for?
Visual Basic 2008 Recipes is written for Visual Basic developers who have at least some experience in developing Visual Basic solutions. The book contains recipes appealing to intermediate through advanced developers.
About the Author
- Accelerated VB 2008
- Microsoft SharePoint: Building Office 2007 Solutions in VB 2005
- Beginning Object-Oriented Programming with VB 2005: From Novice to Professional
Todd Herman works for Berico Technologies as a senior developer as part of the intelligence community. He has been programming since he received his first computer, a Commodore 64, on his 11th birthday. His experience ranges from developing data–entry software in FoxPro for a water research laboratory to writing biometric applications in Visual Basic for NEC. He currently lives in Virginia with his wife and children, spending his free time programming, playing computer games, and watching the Sci–Fi Channel.
Modeling and Reasoning with Bayesian Networks
Bayesian networks have received a lot of attention over the last few decades from both scientists and engineers, and across a number of fields, including artificial intelligence (AI), statistics, cognitive science, and philosophy.
Perhaps the largest impact that Bayesian networks have had is on the field of AI, where they were...
Adobe Flash CS5 Revealed (Revealed Series)
Welcome to Adobe Flash CS5—Revealed. Th is book off ers creative
projects, concise instructions, and complete coverage of basic to
advanced Adobe Flash CS5 skills, helping you to create and publish
Flash animations, websites, and applications. Use this book both while
you learn and as your own reference guide.
Beyond 401(k)s for Small Business Owners The ultimate reference on compensation for small business owners
Beyond 401(k)s for Small Business Owners presents strategies for reducing taxes, planning for your retirement, and rewarding high-performing employees. Expert advice from attorney and CPA Jean Sifleet will help small business owners maximize their own rewards and create an...
Mobile Radio Network Design in the VHF and UHF Bands: A Practical Approach An essential element of radio technology and propagation is how to use radio technology and knowledge of radio propagation to design a network that meets the needs of customers. Mobile Radio Network Design in the VHF and UHF Bands provides the technical and fundamental knowledge required for advanced mobile radio network design to...