Sometimes you just need to solve a problem and get on with your work. To that end, Visual Basic 2008 Recipes is a compendium of practical solutions for busy VB .NET programmers. Create time for the more interesting aspects of your VB .NET project by solving common problems with the practical solutions and dozens of code examples in this book. Important new .NET 3.5 technologies, such as Windows Presentation Framework (WPF) and Language Integrated Query (LINQ), are covered, and each chapter addresses a specific problem domain, including database access, multimedia, XML manipulation, networking, and security. The code is free to download so you can use the recipes immediately.
- Take advantage of quality, ready–made solutions to common Visual Basic programming problems.
- Avoid the tedium of having to reinvent the wheel. Focus instead on the more interesting problems specific to your application.
- Learn from and be inspired by what the authors have done. Use their work as stepping stones to solve even more complex problems.
What you’ll learn
- Cleanly separate user–interface logic from business logic through the use of .NET 3.5’s WPF.
- Store data to and retrieve data from your relational database using LINQ.
- Manipulate XML data using LINQ.
- Make your programs dynamically configurable through the judicious application of reflection.
- Take advantage of multiple CPU cores by writing multithreaded applications.
- Integrate multimedia into your Visual Basic projects.
Who is this book for?
Visual Basic 2008 Recipes is written for Visual Basic developers who have at least some experience in developing Visual Basic solutions. The book contains recipes appealing to intermediate through advanced developers.
About the Author
- Accelerated VB 2008
- Microsoft SharePoint: Building Office 2007 Solutions in VB 2005
- Beginning Object-Oriented Programming with VB 2005: From Novice to Professional
Todd Herman works for Berico Technologies as a senior developer as part of the intelligence community. He has been programming since he received his first computer, a Commodore 64, on his 11th birthday. His experience ranges from developing data–entry software in FoxPro for a water research laboratory to writing biometric applications in Visual Basic for NEC. He currently lives in Virginia with his wife and children, spending his free time programming, playing computer games, and watching the Sci–Fi Channel.
Scheduling in Real-Time Systems Real-time computing plays a vital role in ultra-reliable and safety-critical applications in fields as diverse as flight control, telecommunication systems, nuclear plant supervision and surgical operation monitoring. Providing a comprehensive overview, this book examines the most significant real-time scheduling policies in use today.... Coding Freedom: The Ethics and Aesthetics of Hacking
Who are computer hackers? What is free software? And what does the emergence of a community dedicated to the production of free and open source software--and to hacking as a technical, aesthetic, and moral project--reveal about the values of contemporary liberalism? Exploring the rise and political significance of the free and open source...
Building Websites with Joomla! 1.5 Joomla! is life!
It is an open-source project that is in constant motion. It is unpredictable, sometimes indescribable, partially controversial, now and then slightly sleepy, and provincial. Despite this, or perhaps exactly because of this, it has been extremely successful for two years now and is popular with millions of users...
IP Communications and Services for NGN
Rapid deployment and acceptance of broadband networks, including the 802.11 a/b/g, 3G cellular networks, WiMAX, and emerging 4G cellular IP networks, have sparked a growing reliance on voice over IP and the quickly emerging IP TV and Mobile TV. Providing the necessary background and technical understanding to stay abreast of and even ahead of...
iOS 7 Programming Cookbook
Overcome the vexing issues you’re likely to face when creating apps for the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. With new and thoroughly revised recipes in this updated cookbook, you’ll quickly learn the steps necessary to work with the iOS 7 SDK, including solutions for bringing real-world physics and movement to your apps with...