Sometimes you just need to solve a problem and get on with your work. To that end, Visual Basic 2008 Recipes is a compendium of practical solutions for busy VB .NET programmers. Create time for the more interesting aspects of your VB .NET project by solving common problems with the practical solutions and dozens of code examples in this book. Important new .NET 3.5 technologies, such as Windows Presentation Framework (WPF) and Language Integrated Query (LINQ), are covered, and each chapter addresses a specific problem domain, including database access, multimedia, XML manipulation, networking, and security. The code is free to download so you can use the recipes immediately.
- Take advantage of quality, ready–made solutions to common Visual Basic programming problems.
- Avoid the tedium of having to reinvent the wheel. Focus instead on the more interesting problems specific to your application.
- Learn from and be inspired by what the authors have done. Use their work as stepping stones to solve even more complex problems.
What you’ll learn
- Cleanly separate user–interface logic from business logic through the use of .NET 3.5’s WPF.
- Store data to and retrieve data from your relational database using LINQ.
- Manipulate XML data using LINQ.
- Make your programs dynamically configurable through the judicious application of reflection.
- Take advantage of multiple CPU cores by writing multithreaded applications.
- Integrate multimedia into your Visual Basic projects.
Who is this book for?
Visual Basic 2008 Recipes is written for Visual Basic developers who have at least some experience in developing Visual Basic solutions. The book contains recipes appealing to intermediate through advanced developers.
About the Author
- Accelerated VB 2008
- Microsoft SharePoint: Building Office 2007 Solutions in VB 2005
- Beginning Object-Oriented Programming with VB 2005: From Novice to Professional
Todd Herman works for Berico Technologies as a senior developer as part of the intelligence community. He has been programming since he received his first computer, a Commodore 64, on his 11th birthday. His experience ranges from developing data–entry software in FoxPro for a water research laboratory to writing biometric applications in Visual Basic for NEC. He currently lives in Virginia with his wife and children, spending his free time programming, playing computer games, and watching the Sci–Fi Channel.
Excel 2007: The Missing Manual Microsoft Excel continues to grow in power, sophistication, and capability, but one thing that has changed very little since the early '90s is its user interface. The once-simple toolbar has been packed with so many features over the years that few users know where to find them all. Microsoft has addressed this problem in Excel 2007 by radically... Oracle Exadata Survival Guide (Expert's Voice in Oracle)
Oracle Exadata Survival Guide is a hands-on guide for busy Oracle database administrators who are migrating their skill sets to Oracle's Exadata database appliance. The book covers the concepts behind Exadata, and the available configurations for features such as smart scans, storage indexes, Smart Flash Cache, hybrid columnar...
The Science of Clays: Applications in Industry, Engineering, and Environment
This book is an attempt to provide a comprehensive and coherent description of three widely separated aspects of clays: the science of clays; the industrial uses of clays; and the role of clays in the environment. Most of the existing literature lacks such an integrated study and this work endeavours to fill that gap.
Dreamweaver CS3 Bible Learn to create dynamic, data-driven Web sites—easily
If you're among the two and a half million Web professionals who already use Dreamweaver, here's your ticket to the exciting enhancements in the CS3 version. If you're just breaking into Web development, you'll get a thorough understanding of the basics. Either way,...
Beginning Ruby on Rails E-Commerce: From Novice to Professional
Beginning Ruby on Rails E-Commerce: From Novice to Professional is the first book of its kind to guide you through producing e-commerce applications with Railsthe stacked web framework taking the world by storm. The book dives right into the process of creating a production-level web application using agile methodologies and test-driven...