Most of us don’t know the first thing about the machines we’re licensed to drive – and this can turn a ticket to freedom into a ticket to trouble. If you’re like most people, you probably tend to drive around until something goes wrong with the car. You then incur the expense of replacing worn and burnt-out parts (or the entire engine) when low-cost, regular maintenance could have kept your wheels turning for a long time.
Auto Repair For Dummies is indispensable for anyone who is tired of nodding and smiling at the incomprehensible mutterings of your mechanic, only to end up shelling out money for repairs that you neither fully understand nor always need. This easy-to-understand guide is also for you if you
- Don't have the vaguest idea of how a car works.
- Can't identify anything you see under the hood of your vehicle.
- Are tired of other people assuming (especially if you’re a teenager or a woman) that you aren’t capable of handling repairs yourself.
- Don't want to feel helpless in an emergency.
- Are tired of being ripped off because of your own ignorance.
This book shows you how your car works; what it needs in the way of tender loving care; and how to keep from being overcharged if you need to entrust repairs to someone else. Auto Repair For Dummies also gives you the scoop on these topics and more:
- What makes your vehicle go (and how and why)
- A program of "preventive medicine" to avoid trouble
- Shopping for tools and knowing how to use them
- Diesel engines and alternatively powered cars
- How to keep your car looking its best
- Dealing with on-road emergencies
- Checking your tires, alignment, and steering
By handling the simple maintenance and tune-ups and being able to diagnose trouble and perform the less complex repairs yourself, you’ll save some serious money. Once you break the ice (or crack open the hood), the heady sense of power will carry you through basic car repair and maintenance with confidence and ease.
About the Author
Deanna Sclar is an acclaimed auto repair expert and consumer advocate. She has appeared on NBC's Today show and NBC Nightly News and is a regular contributor to the Los Angeles Times.
Latino Language and Literacy in Ethnolinguistic Chicago
This volume--along with its companion Ethnolinguistic Chicago: Language and Literacy in the City's Neighborhoods
--fills an important gap in research on Chicago and, more generally, on language use in globalized metropolitan areas. Often cited as a quintessential American city, Chicago is, and always has been, a city of immigrants. It...
Network Graph Analysis and Visualization with Gephi
Visualize and analyze your data swiftly using dynamic network graphs built with Gephi
Use your own data to create network graphs displaying complex relationships between several types of data elements
Learn about nodes and edges, and customize your graphs using size, color, and...
The Ancient Egyptians For Dummies History, Biography & Politics) Unravel the history behind of one of the most fascinating ancient civilisations with this engaging, entertaining and educational guide to the ancient Egyptians. With a complete rundown of ancient Egyptian history and culture alongside insights in to the everyday lives of the Egyptians, you’ll discover how they kept themselves entertained, the...
CCIE Security Exam Certification Guide (CCIE Self-Study)
Official self-study test preparation guide for the CCIE Security written exam
Review all CCIE Security written exam topics, including:
- Switching concepts, routing protocols, and WAN protocols, including PPP, ISDN, and Frame Relay
- DNS, TFTP, Secure Shell, Secure Socket Layer Protocol, NTP, and...
Responsive Media in HTML5
Learn effective administration of responsive media within your website or CMS system using practical techniques
About This Book
Understand some of the pitfalls of creating...