This book covers Android app design fundamentals in Android Studio using Java programming language.
The author assumes you have no experience in app development. The book starts with the installation of the required development environment and setting up the emulators. Then, the simplest “Hello World” app is developed step by step. In the next chapter, basics of the Java programming language are given with practical examples. Screenshots and code snippets are clearly given in the book to guide the reader. After the Java lecture, 7 complete Android apps are developed again by step by step instructions. Each code line is explained. As the reader follows the development of the example apps, he/she will learn designing user interfaces, connecting interface objects to code, developing efficient Java code and testing the app on emulators and real devices.
The last chapter explains the installation of the Unity game engine, developing a simple 2D platform game in Unity, setting up touch controls for Android environment and exporting the game as a standalone .apk file ready to be installed on Android devices.
Sample apps developed in this book are as follows:
1. Headlight app: Learn the basics of app development and use buttons in your code.
2. Body mass index (BMI) calculator app: Using input boxes, performing calculations and displaying the results on the screen.
3. Simple dice roller app: Using random number generator functions, including images in your project, displaying images on the screen and changing the displayed image programmatically.
4. The compass app: Accessing the magnetic field sensor, setting required permissions, extracting the direction angle and animating a compass figure.
5. Show my location app: Creating a map project, setting required permissions, accessing GPS device and showing real time location on the map.
6. S.O.S. sender app: Adding SMS functionality, setting required permissions and sending real time location using SMS.
7. Development of a 2D platform game: Installing Unity game engine, developing the visual part of the game, implementing the game logic in the code, setting up touch controls and exporting the game as a standalone .apk file.
This book includes 237 figures and 130 code snippets that are used to explain app development concepts clearly. Full resolution colour figures and complete project files can be downloaded from the book's companion website: www.yamaclis.com/android.
30 Days to a More Powerful Memory Everyone wants a better memory—and in today’s information-filled, multitasking age, having a good memory is more important than ever. Whether you need to keep track of your e-mail messages, impress the boss, give a speech, organize a busy social schedule, remember whom you met where and when, or anything else, a good memory is a... Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook Keep your boat's electrical systems running and reliable.
Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook is perfect for learning how your boat's electrical system and much of its equipment works, and it will be an invaluable guide when adding equipment as well. This book needs to be in every boater's library as a ready...
First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CK (First Aid USMLE)
With the sixth edition of First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 CK, we continue our commitment to providing students with the most useful and up-to-date preparation guide for the USMLE Step 2 CK. The sixth edition represents a thorough revision in many ways and includes:
? A revised and updated exam preparation guide for the USMLE Step 2...
Standard Handbook of Electronic Engineering, Fifth Edition with CD-ROM
The Standard Handbook of Electronics Engineering has defined its field for over thirty years. Spun off in the 1960’s from Fink’s Standard Handbook of Electrical Engineering, the Christiansen book has seen its markets grow rapidly, as electronic engineering and microelectronics became the growth engine of digital computing. The EE...
3D Printing with Autodesk 123D, Tinkercad, and MakerBot (Electronics)
Master the art of 3D printing with step-by-step tutorials and DIY projects
Are you ready to join the new industrial revolution? 3D Printing with Autodesk 123D, Tinkercad, and MakerBot reveals how to turn your ideas into physical products that you can use or sell! You'll learn how to operate powerful, free...