Beginning Database-Driven Application Development in Java™ EE: Using GlassFish™ focuses on the open source GlassFish persistence engine. This book shows Java programmers how to develop applications utilizing relational database technologies with examples using Oracle and MySQL and the GlassFish application development framework and deployment platform all based on Java EE.
- The book explains in detail how you can organize your Java EE solution into a multilayer architecture, placing most emphasis on how to implement the persistence and database tiers of an application.
- Through many examples, this book shows how you can efficiently use the Java Persistence features available in the Java EE platform. Find out how you can greatly simplify the task of building the persistence layer of your Java EE application by moving some application logic into the underlying database, utilizing database views, stored programs, and triggers.
- The book also explains how to deploy Java EE applications to GlassFish, a free, open source Java EE 5–compliant application server.
What you’ll learn
- Use the GlassFish persistence layer in conjunction with GlassFish Java EE application server.
- Organize the database and persistence tiers of a Java EE application; and utilize MySQL or Oracle database applications when building the database tier.
- Work with EJB 3 JPA object/relational mapping features; plug JPA into Java EE transactional environment; and implement persistence with the EJB 3 EntityManager.
- Integrate and use JSF (web–tier) using emerging GlassFish JSF Framework (Scales) and other JSF tools/frameworks.
- Deploy applications to GlassFish Application Server.
Who is this book for?
The book is appropriate for Java developers who want to learn how to develop Java EE applications interacting with a relational database via the Java Persistence API (JPA) and then deploy them to the open source GlassFish Application Server.
About the Apress Beginning Series
The Beginning series from Apress is the right choice to get the information you need to land that crucial entry–level job. These books will teach you a standard and important technology from the ground up because they are explicitly designed to take you from “novice to professional.” You’ll start your journey by seeing what you need to know—but without needless theory and filler. You’ll build your skill set by learning how to put together real–world projects step by step. So whether your goal is your next career challenge or a new learning opportunity, the Beginning series from Apress will take you there—it is your trusted guide through unfamiliar territory!
About the Author
Yuli Vasiliev is a software developer, freelance author, and consultant currently specializing in open source development, Java technologies, databases, and Service–Oriented Architecture (SOA). He has over 10 years of software development experience as well as several years of technical writing experience. He wrote a series of technical articles for Oracle Technology Network (OTN) and Oracle Magazine.