If so, you’ll find this versatile and fast programming language called Lua to be the perfect tool. Lua has a gentle learning curve that will enable you to write effective programs after only a short introduction. With it, simple programs look simple—there is no extraneous baggage you need to add to your programs or peculiar syntax to which you need to conform to make them run. From the examples in the preceding list, you can see that Lua is quite appropriate for use by technically adept individuals who aren’t necessarily programmers.
At the other end of the continuum, Lua has features that support advanced program requirements. It imposes very few conventions on the way you write your programs, instead providing mechanisms with which you can construct clear and maintainable solutions to your programming tasks. Even experienced software developers find novel and powerful ways of using Lua to extend and simplify their applications.
Lua is robust, yet its mild entry curve makes it quite suitable as a first programming language. In combination, these make Lua an attractive language for students and professionals alike.
- A small yet extraordinarily powerful programming language, Lua achieved its popularity early on as a video game scripting language and has since evolved into a general purpose programming language that is compact enough to fit on a variety of host platforms
- This book provides programmers, game developers, and Web site developers with an in-depth look at the various aspects of programming in Lua
- Complete code samples with practical applications and robust error handling offers beginners helpful learning tools
- Diagrams provide a visual glimpse behind the scenes of important Lua features such as stacks, hash tables, garbage collection, lexical scope, and function closures
- Features discussions on managing memory, garbage collection, using libraries, strings, tables, extending Lua, event handling, databases, and Web and game programming