As a portable, open source, object-oriented programming language, Python combines remarkable power with clear syntax. And, as one of the fastest growing languages, Python manages systems and can be used for data mining and Web development. With this book, you'll learn how to program using the latest release — Python 2.4 — and create robust, reliable, and reusable Python applications.
You'll quickly see why Python is an ideal first programming language to learn, both for its ease of use and the fact that it offers interpreters for most operating system platforms. This in-depth look at Python 2.4 examines how it has become even easier for you to tell a computer what tasks you want it to do in an environment where you are in control.
What you will learn from this book
- Methods that can be used to quickly develop Web applications and scientific applications and to incorporate databases
- How to master system tasks on Linux,® Windows,®and Mac OS® X platforms
- How to handle — and recover from — any unforeseen problems
- Ways in which Python prides itself on its consistency, control, and ability to cope with change
- How Python incorporates modules, exceptions, dynamic typing, and very high level dynamic types and classes
Who this book is for
This book is for anyone who wants to learn how to program with Python or who wants to quickly learn how to use Python for rapid development of applications for the Web, scientific applications, bioinformatics, and applications for system tasks.
Wrox Beginning guides are crafted to make learning programming languages and technologies easier than you think, providing a structured, tutorial format that will guide you through all the techniques involved.