David Hucaby, CCIE® No. 4594, is a lead network engineer for the University of Kentucky, where he works with health-care networks based on the Cisco Catalyst, ASA, FWSM, and VPN product lines. He was one of the beta reviewers of the ASA 8.0 operating system software.
- Learn about the various firewall models, user interfaces, feature sets, and configuration methods
- Understand how a Cisco firewall inspects traffic
- Configure firewall interfaces, routing, IP addressing services, and IP multicast support
- Maintain security contexts and flash and configuration files, manage users, and monitor firewalls with SNMP
- Authenticate, authorize, and maintain accounting records for firewall users
- Control access through the firewall by implementing transparent and routed firewall modes, address translation, and traffic shunning
- Define security policies that identify and act on various types of traffic with the Modular Policy Framework
- Increase firewall availability with firewall failover operation
- Understand how firewall load balancing works
- Generate firewall activity logs and learn how to analyze the contents of the log
- Verify firewall operation and connectivity and observe data passing through a firewall
- Configure Security Services Modules, such as the Content Security Control (CSC) module and the Advanced Inspection Processor (AIP) module
This security book is part of the Cisco Press® Networking Technology Series. Security titles from Cisco Press help networking professionals secure critical data and resources, prevent and mitigate network attacks, and build end-to-end self-defending networks.
About the Author
David Hucaby, CCIE No. 4594, is a lead network engineer for the University of Kentucky, where he works with health-care networks based on the Cisco Catalyst, ASA, FWSM, and VPN product lines. He was one of the beta reviewers of the ASA 8.0 operating system software. He has a B.S. and M.S. in electrical engineering from the University of Kentucky. He is the author of three other books from Cisco Press: CCNP BCMSN Official Exam Certification Guide, Cisco Field Manual: Router Configuration, and Cisco Field Manual: Catalyst Switch Configuration.
He lives in Kentucky with his wife, Marci, and two daughters.