Few World War II stories are more gripping than those fought behind enemy lines by spies, underground members, and special forces.
In his latest collection, Daring Missions of World War II, popular author and distinguished historian William Breuer brings to light largely unknown stories of behind-the-scenes bravery and covert activities that helped the Allies win critical victories both on the ground and in the air. Here are more than seventy tales of espionage, sabotage, and derring-do, including thrilling accounts of "impossible" rescues, ingenious secret networks, and high-stakes U.S. Ranger missions within enemy territory.
Vivid, fast-paced, and dramatic, Daring Missions of World War II introduces you to the heroes and heroines who risked their lives for victory–and sometimes notoriety. Among those you’ll discover are:
- Lieutenant Colonel Montague R. Chidson, who single-handedly saved Amsterdam’s diamond cache from the Nazis
- General Henri Honoré Giraud, who escaped twice from the Germans–the second time from an "escape-proof" prison
- Mathilde Carré, a.k.a. "La Chatte (the cat)," the only female triple agent of the war
- The Netherlands’ Queen Wilhelmina and her daring rescue from Hitler
- The Kachins, a small mountain tribe in Upper Burma, who helped the United States, Britain, and China dislodge a Japanese stronghold
- A young Ho Chi Minh, who was saved by American medics
Courage. Brillance. Intrigue. Whether you’re a history buff or are simply looking for a thrilling read, Daring Missions of World War II allows you to watch the course of history change–and to meet the extraordinary men and women from all corners of the world who were responsible.
About the Author
WILLIAM B. BREUER is the critically acclaimed author of twenty-six military history books, including Unexplained Mysteries of World War II, Top Secret Tales of World War II, Undercover Tales of World war II, Vendetta!: Castro and the Kennedy Brothers, and Shadow Warriors: The Covert War in Korea. Ten of his books have been Main selections of the Military Book Club, including The Great Raid on Cabanatuan and MacArthur’s Undercover War.