"...I would expect that readers with a basic understanding of object-oriented programming and design would find this book useful, before approaching design patterns completely. Design Patterns Explained complements the existing design patterns texts and may perform a very useful role, fitting between introductory texts such as UML Distilled and the more advanced patterns books."
Design Patterns Explained: A New Perspective on Object-Oriented Design draws together the principles of object-oriented programming with the power of design patterns to create an environment for robust and reliable software development. Packed with practical and applicable examples, this book teaches you to solve common programming problems with patterns--and explains the advantages of patterns for modern software design.
Beginning with a complete overview of the fundamentals of patterns, Design Patterns Explained stresses the importance of analysis and design. The authors clearly demonstrate how patterns can facilitate the overall development process. Throughout the book, key object-oriented design principles are explained, along with the concepts and benefits behind specific patterns. With illustrative examples in C++ and Java, the book demystifies the "whys," "why nots," and "hows" of patterns and explains pattern implementation.
Key topics covered include:
- New perspectives on objects, encapsulation, and inheritance
- The idea of design patterns, their origins, and how they apply in the discipline of software design
- Pattern-based, object-oriented software development using the Unified Modeling Language (UML)
- How to implement critical patterns--Strategy, Observer, Bridge, Decorator, and many more
- Commonality/Variability Analysis and design patterns, and how they aid in understanding abstract classes
From analysis to implementation, Design Patterns Explained allows you to unleash the true potential of patterns and paves the path for improving your overall designs. This book provides newcomers with a genuinely accurate and helpful introduction to object-oriented design patterns.