This book is based in large part on our own trials and tribulations (as well as the occasional “Eureka!” moment) that we’ve experienced working with ISA Server 2004. In this book, we are talking to people much like ourselves—experienced Windows network administrators who want to secure their networks and speed up Web access for their users without having to make a full-time vocation of it, learn programming, recompile kernels, or struggle with a brand new command syntax. We’re talking to people who want a security solution that is built to interoperate with their Windows domain controllers and Microsoft servers such as Exchange and SharePoint. We’re talking to experienced ISA 2000 administrators, those who are brand new to the world of firewalls, and those who are migrating from third-party firewall products.
- Go Under the Hood of ISA Server 2004: Get Inside Application Layer Filtering (ALF), VPN quarantine, and SSL Bridging.
- Create a Supporting Infrastructure: Support the ISA Server 2004 firewall and the clients for DHCP, WINS, DNS, and RADIUS.
- Automate Client Provisioning: Reduce administrative overhead by automating Web proxy and firewall client configurations.
- Troubleshoot Upgrade Issues: Get it right the first time, including ISA Server 2000 and Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0 upgrades.
- Control Access through the Firewall: Create policy elements in advance, and use the Access Rule toolset.
- Publish to all Major Internet Protocols: Covers HTTPS, FTP, NNTP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP4, VNC, pcAnywhere, and Terminal Services.
- Control VPN Clients: Configure Exchange Server access to allow only full Outlook MAPI client access.