Whatever its claims, commercially available testing software is not automatic. Configuring it to test your product is almost as time-consuming and error-prone as purely manual testing.
There is an alternative that makes both engineering and economic sense: building your own, truly automatic tool. Inside, you’ll learn a repeatable, step-by-step approach, suitable for virtually any development environment. Code-intensive examples support the book’s instruction, which includes these key topics:
- Conducting active software testing without capture/replay Generating a script to test all members of one class without reverse-engineering
- Using XML to store previously designed testing cases Automatically generating testing data
- Combining Reflection and CodeDom to write test scripts focused on high-risk areas
- Generating test scripts from external data sources
- Using real and complete objects for integration testing
- Modifying your tool to test third-party software components
- Testing your testing tool
Effective Software Test Automation goes well beyond the building of your own testing tool: it also provides expert guidance on deploying it in ways that let you reap the greatest benefits: earlier detection of coding errors, a smoother, swifter development process, and final software that is as bug-free as possible. Written for programmers, testers, designers, and managers, it will improve the way your team works and the quality of its products.