Packing the power of desktop applications into a small mobile device, the iPhone SDK offers developers the ability to create dynamic, visually-appealing, and highly-capable mobile applications, using the same APIs and tools that Apple uses for its own applications.
However, harnessing that power means learning new tools, new APIs, and even a whole new programming language.
iPhone SDK Development is a Pragmatic guide to get you started developing applications for iPhone and iPod touch. With it, you'll get a complete understanding of the tools and techniques needed to succeed on the platform:
* Use the XCode IDE to manage your source code, images, sounds, database files, and other application resources, building your app and deploying it onto your own device for testing.
* Develop your user interface the visual, code-free way, with Interface Builder.
* Master the iPhone's unique user interface components, including tables, tab bars, navigation bars, and the multi-touch interface.
* Connect your iPhone to the outside world with networking, exploit the power of a relational database with SQLite, and rock out with first-class support for audio and video.
* Make use of the iPhone's unique mobile APIs, like geolocation and the motion-sensing accelerometer
* Use XCode's powerful performance and debugging tools to eliminate memory leaks, zombies, and other hazards.
* Understand the process for packaging your application for end-user distribution through Apple's App Store.
With explanations of the big picture and an eye to the little details that you'll need, _iPhone SDK Development_ will help you succeed on today's most important mobile platform.