The First Easy-to-Use Guide to Joomla!-The World's #1 Open Source Content Management System
If you want to build sophisticated websites that can be easily edited and updated, you need to master Joomla!-the world's #1 open source content management system. Now there's an easy-to-read, easy-to-use guide to Joomla! for every site manager, administrator, and developer. Leading Joomla! consultant Barrie North covers all you need to get results: installation, administration, site organization, template development, content updates, and a whole lot more. You'll find never-before-published tips, tricks, and troubleshooting solutions, as well as three start-to-finish case studies.
New to Joomla? No problem! This book starts with the simplest design and system concepts, and builds your expertise step-by-step. You'll rapidly master Joomla!'s power, even if you have no content management, scripting, or CSS expertise. Experienced with Joomla!? You'll turn to this book constantly for its authoritative, plain-English, example-rich Joomla! 1.0 and 1.5 reference content.
· Understanding content management, what Joomla! does, and how its components fit together
· Building Joomla! sites from scratch, and systematically customizing them to your needs
· Organizing content with sections, categories, blogs, and tables
· Creating dynamic pages and effective navigation
· Working with Joomla! modules and components
· Search engine optimization for Joomla! sites
· Start-to-finish case studies: building a school website, an e-commerce site, and a blog
· The most valuable Joomla! extensions and add-ons: finding them, and using them
· Key differences between Joomla! 1.0 and 1.5, and what they mean to you
About the Author
Barrie North has over 15 years of experience with the Internet, as a user, designer, and teacher. He has spent over eight years in the education fi eld, becoming steadily more involved in web technology and teaching web design classes to students and technology integration to teachers. Most recently he worked as an IT consultant for two new schools pioneering in the use of technology. As well as web design, he has provided web marketing/SEO, usability, and standards compliance expertise to his clients.
He is a partner of Joomla!shack.com, providing templates and custom services. He also maintains a blog about all things Joomla! at compassdesigns.net. When not working, he can frequently be found on the Joomla! community boards, and he has written many free tutorials for using Joomla!. His combination of Joomla! expertise, educational skills, and engaging writing has produced a book accessible to everyone.