Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 is the third generation Microsoft reporting software that is more tightly integrated with SQL Server 2008 than ever before. It provides a complete server-based platform that is designed to support a wide variety of reporting needs, including managed enterprise reporting, special purpose reporting, embedded reporting, and web-based reporting.
Ideal for beginners who need to create reports as quickly as possible, this book will lead you through practical examples to teach you a full range of skills for reporting with SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services. A series of carefully picked exercises help you practice the most important aspects of report creation. By the end of the book, you will have the confidence to take on the most complex of reports, and be producing reports that will make you the envy of your organization.
What you will learn from this book?
- Install SQL Server 2008 and configure the SQL Server Reporting Services
- Learn the various components and tools that enable end-to-end support for all reporting activities
- Use the report viewer control to get started with the essentials of retrieving and displaying data
- Create a Report Model using the Visual Studio 2008 Template
- Learn to modify reports on a report server and create linked files with report manager
- Embed Microsoft Report Viewer Controls in web and Windows applications
- Create interactive reports with charts and gauges using Report Builder
- Create several kinds of reports with Report Builder 2.0
- Create server reports and report models and deploy them
- Get the full details of available programming interfaces and their usage
- Learn to work with Crystal Reports 2008
- Import reports created using MS Access
- Learn how to use the Programming API, convert Report file types, use command-line utilities and more
With clear instructions and plenty of screenshots, this book provides all the support and guidance you will need as you begin to generate reports with SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services.
Who this book is written for?
This book is for anyone who is new to SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services and needs to create and deploy reports. The book is suitable for report developers, data analysts, and report server database administrators.
You will need to know the basic concepts of SQL Server, but not necessarily be very familiar with SQL Server 2008.
About the Author
Jayaram Krishnaswamy studied at the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore India and Madras University in India and taught at the Indian Institute of Technology in Madras. He went to Japan on a Japanese Ministry of Education Research scholarship to complete his PhD in Electrical Engineering from Nagoya University. He was a Post Doctoral Fellow at Sydney University in Australia; a Government of India Senior Scientific Officer at the Indian Institute of Science in Bangalore and Indian Institute of Technology at Kanpur; a Visiting Scientist at the Eindhoven Institute of Technology in Netherlands; a Visiting Professor of Physics at the Federal University in Brazil; an Associate Research Scientist at a government laboratory in Sao Jose dos Campos in Sao Paulo, Brazil; a visiting scientist at the National Research Council in Ottawa, Canada before coming to USA in 1985. He has also taught and worked at the Colorado State University in Fort Collins and North Carolina State University in Raleigh, North Carolina. He worked with Northrop Grumman Corporation on a number of projects related to high energy electron accelerators / Free Electron Lasers. These projects were undertaken at the Brookhaven National Laboratory in Long Island and in the Physics Department at Princeton University. He has over 80 publications in refereed and non-refereed publications and 8 issued patents. He is fluent in Japanese and Portuguese and lives in Plainsboro, New Jersey, USA.