Written with the beginner in mind and based on introductory ColdFusion courses taught by the author, Macromedia ColdFusion MX Development guides the new developer through the fundamentals of building Web applications using the newest release of Macromedia's popular development platform - ColdFusion MX. Starting with a tour of the ColdFusion development environment and progressing through several well-commented examples of how to use ColdFusion Markup Language (CFML) commands and functions, the book demonstrates how to implement many of the basic functions found on dynamic, database-driven Web sites. Three detailed case studies then illustrate how to integrate these functions into complete and coherent Web applications that support a corporate employee directory, an online conference registration site, and an electronic commerce site with a shopping cart.
About the Author
- Configure the ColdFusion MX development environment using the ColdFusion MX Administrator
- Implement loops decision logic within your ColdFusion MX applications
- Retrieve data from a server-side database and use it to construct a Web page
- Develop a browser-based interface for adding records to, updating records in, and deleting records from a server-side database
- Send and receive e-mail messages using ColdFusion MX
- Maintain state information with cookies and session variables
- Make use of the ColdFusion MX Application Framework
- Implement free-text searching with Verity and ColdFusion MX
Eric Ladd (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a Macromedia Certified Advanced ColdFusion Developer and a principal and senior developer for NetLink Resource Group in Alexandria, Virginia. NetLink specializes in custom application development for Internet, intranet, and extranet systems and has served the Web development needs of clients such as the U.S. Postal Service, Litton/PRC (currently Northrop Grumman), MCI, Digex, Marriott International, the National Institutes of Health, and the Pan American Health Organization.
Outside of work, Eric enjoys hitting the gym, biking, and being dragged around the Metro D.C. area by his boxers Zack and Ripley.