Introducing mobile multimedia – the technologies, digital rights management and everything else you need to know for delivering cost efficient multimedia to mobile terminals
Efficiency and cost effectiveness within multimedia delivery is fast becoming a hot topic in wireless communications, with mobile operators competing to offer inexpensive, reliable services. The selection of an appropriate technology and matching it with the offered mix of services will be essential to achieve the market success.
Multimedia Broadcasting and Multicasting in Mobile Networks discusses multimedia services, introducing the potentials and limitations of the multicasting and broadcasting technologies. The authors address the key points related to the deployment of the technology including digital rights management issues, particularly important in terms of the large, business scale deployment of multimedia services and business models. The book discusses the early trials and deployment of Internet Protocol Datacasting (IPDC) and Multimedia Broadcast/Multicast Service (MBMS) and offers an introduction to multicasting in wireless cellular networks.
Multimedia Broadcasting and Multicasting in Mobile Networks:
- Offers a tutorial introduction to multicasting in wireless cellular networks
- Provides an overview of the current technologies that deliver mobile multimedia, weighing of the potentials and limitations of various solutions
- Includes the early trials and deployment of Internet Protocol Datacasting (IPDC) and Multimedia Broadcast/Multicast Service (MBMS)
- Details Digital Rights Management (DRM), MediaFLO, Digital Multimedia Broadcasting (DMB), Terrestrial Integrated Services Digital Broadcasting (ISDB-T) and others
- Contains business models, trials and user feedback
This book provides mobile operators, graduate engineers, network designers and strategists in mobile engineering with a thorough understanding of mobile multimedia and its impact on the telecommunications industry. Undergraduate and postgraduate students studying telecommunications will also find this book of interest.