Ever since its beginnings in early 1998, the Nessus Project has attracted security researchers from all walks of life. It continues this growth today. It has been adopted as a de facto standard by the security industry, many of whom rely on Nessus as the foundation to their security practices. Now, Nessus Project Founder Renaud Deraison and a team of leading developers have created the definitive book for the Nessus community.
- Perform a Vulnerability Assessment: Use Nessus to find programming errors that allow intruders to gain unauthorized access.
- Obtain and Install Nessus: Install from source or binary, set up clients and user accounts and update plug-ins.
- Modify the Preferences Tab: Specify the options for Nmap and other complex, configurable components of Nessus.
- Understand Scanner Logic and Determine Actual Risk: Plan your scanning strategy and learn what variables can be changed.
- Prioritize Vulnerabilities: Prioritize and manage critical vulnerabilities, information leaks, and denial of service errors.
- Deal with False Positives: Learn the different types of false positives and the differences between intrusive and nonintrusive tests.
- Get Under the Hood of Nessus: Understand the architecture and design of Nessus and master the Nessus Attack Scripting Language (NASL).
- Scan the Entire Enterprise Network: Plan for enterprise deployment by gauging network bandwidth and topology issues.
I am guilty! After publicly complaining about the existence of too many Python based web frameworks, after praising the merits of Django, Pylons, TurboGears, CherryPy, and web.py, after having used them professionally and taught them in University level courses, I could not resist and created one more: web2py.
Why did I commit such...
C++ Gotchas: Avoiding Common Problems in Coding and Design
"This may well be the best C++ book I have ever read. I was surprised by the amount I learned."-Matthew Wilson, Development Consultant, Synesis Software
C++ Gotchas is the professional programmer's guide to avoiding and correcting ninety-nine of the most...
Manual of Endoscopic Sinus Surgery: and its Extended Applications
By focusing on how to establish clear indications for surgery and how to improve surgical approaches in endoscopic paranasal sinus surgery, this practical operating manual appeals to the beginner as well as to the practicing surgeon. Techniques covered range from simple procedures to the most advanced applications, including tumor...
High Performance Web Sites: Essential Knowledge for Front-End Engineers Want your web site to display more quickly? This book presents 14 specific rules that will cut 25% to 50% off response time when users request a page. Author Steve Souders, in his job as Chief Performance Yahoo!, collected these best practices while optimizing some of the most-visited pages on the Web. Even sites that had already been highly...