Learn network security basics using this practical guide
Create a successful security program--even if you're new to the field of network security--using this practical guidebook. You can now get the technical background you need and have access to the best and most up-to-date security practices--from one resource. You'll learn how to set up and work with firewalls, smart cards, and access controls; develop and manage effective policies and procedures; secure Internet connections; recover from security breaches; prevent hacker attacks, and much more. You'll also gain insight into actual program implementations in different environments--including e-commerce and company intranets--through real-world case studies. Plus, you'll get an 8-page network blueprint section for additional visual details on proper Internet architecture, e-Commerce architecture, intrusion detection, and the information security process. If you're looking for a solid introduction to securing a network, this is the only book you'll need.
About the Author
- Understand the basic principles of securing information on a network
- Find out various methods for improving security--anti-virus software, firewalls, smart cards, intrusion detection, and much more
- Learn about different forms of attack and how each is accomplished
- Build a security program incorporating recommended technical and administrative practices
- Get details on associated legal and privacy issues
- Identify and measure risk areas within your organization
- Implement a successful network security program step-by-step
- Connect to the Internet safely and safeguard e-commerce transactions
Eric Maiwald (Gaithersburg, MD) is the Director of Security Services for Fortrex Technologies. Mr. Maiwald oversees all security consulting and product implementations for Fortrex clients. He has personally been involved in performing assessments, developing policies, and implementing securit solutions for large financial institutions, service firms, and manufacturers. Mr. Maiwald is also the lead instructor for Fortrex Security Training including the ISS Certified Engineers (ICE) training class. And has been certified as an Information Systems Security Professional by the International Information Systems Securit Certification Consortium. He has written several white papers on Intrusion Detection for conference proceedings and holds several patents.