Think you're safe?
Studies have estimated that up to 90 percent of computers are infected by some security threat or another. There's a good chance yours is among them, but any computer can be easily secured to a high level-if you know what you're doing.
They're out there. Trust PC Magazine to help you keep them out of your system
Oh, for the days when a nasty computer virus was the worst thing you had to fear! Now there's spyware that tracks what Web sites you visit, phishing scams that lure you to fake sites in order to steal your credit card and bank account numbers, Trojan horses that can hijack your computer by remote control, and more. They're all lurking out there, but you don't need an advanced degree or tons of expensive software to fight back. All you really need is this book.
Discover how you can
About the Author Dan DiNicolo
- Eliminate viruses, spyware, browser hijacks and other pests once and for all
- Build an effective security strategy based on correct user account settings and strong passwords
- Explore alternative, less-vulnerable browsers like Mozilla and Firefox
- Protect your kids as well as your computer with parental controls
- Maximize the built-in security features of Windows XP
- Keep your PC protected from hackers and bot attacks with the right firewall
- Secure your e-mail so it can't be intercepted
- Implement file security and encrypt sensitive files
- Be sure no one's getting a free ride by locking down your home network
is a consultant, trainer, and the author of several books and articles about computer security and networking. He holds a veritable alphabet soup of certifications, and volunteers his time with Geekcorps, assisting with technical development in such countries as Ghana and Mongolia.