Here’s your in-depth guide to creating database-driven applications using Perl.
In this authoritative reference, Perl expert Brent Michalski uses plenty of examples to help you master Perl’s capabilities in database applications with MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Oracle. Along the way, he explores practical applications for cutting-edge technologies like XML and Web services. If you’re a Perl novice, the comprehensive code samples and step-by-step explanations will have you writing database applications quickly and confidently. If you’re experienced, this definitive guidebook has everything you need to move ahead with Web programming, problem tracking, automatic e-mail reports, and much more.
You’ll learn how to:
- Understand different database models, DBIs, and DBDs
- Set up relational databases, retrieve information, and generate reports
- Tie a Perl hash to a database and track users with cookies
- Generate and deliver automatic e-mail reports
- Use tied hashes to create Web-based shopping carts
- Handle binary data and submit BLOB data
- Create phonebooks, photo albums, and a SOAP-based catalog
The companion Web site features source code from the book and other useful information.
About the Author
BRENT MICHALSKI works with Perl on a daily basis in his job as a senior developer for MasterCard International. He is coauthor of Writing CGI Applications with Perl and has written articles for Web Review and the Perl Home Page. Currently, he maintains the Perl area of the Dr. Dobb’s Journal Web site.