Classical statistical techniques fail to cope well with deviations from a standard distribution. Robust statistical methods take into account these deviations while estimating the parameters of parametric models, thus increasing the accuracy of the inference. Research into robust methods is flourishing, with new methods being developed and different applications considered.
Robust Statistics sets out to explain the use of robust methods and their theoretical justification. It provides an up-to-date overview of the theory and practical application of the robust statistical methods in regression, multivariate analysis, generalized linear models and time series. This unique book:
- Enables the reader to select and use the most appropriate robust method for their particular statistical model.
- Features computational algorithms for the core methods.
- Covers regression methods for data mining applications.
- Includes examples with real data and applications using the S-Plus robust statistics library.
- Describes the theoretical and operational aspects of robust methods separately, so the reader can choose to focus on one or the other.
- Supported by a supplementary website featuring time-limited S-Plus download, along with datasets and S-Plus code to allow the reader to reproduce the examples given in the book.
Robust Statistics aims to stimulate the use of robust methods as a powerful tool to increase the reliability and accuracy of statistical modelling and data analysis. It is ideal for researchers, practitioners and graduate students of statistics, electrical, chemical and biochemical engineering, and computer vision. There is also much to benefit researchers from other sciences, such as biotechnology, who need to use robust statistical methods in their work.
Evidence-based Ayurveda: Defining a New Scientific Path
This groundbreaking work calls for the overhaul of traditional Ayurveda and its transformation into a progressive, evidence-based practice.
This book begins by looking back at the research of the last three centuries, Indian medicinal plants, and Ayurveda in a twenty-first-century context. The first part of this book...
Show Me Microsoft Office Excel 2003 Microsoft Office Excel 2003 provides powerful new tools with which to create, analyze, and share spreadsheet information. Excel 2003 takes advantage of the latest technologies such as XML and Microsoft SharePoint to extend desktop productivity and workspace collaboration over an intranet or the Internet. This book covers these changes, as well as...
Clinical Functional MRI: Presurgical Functional Neuroimaging (Medical Radiology)
This is the first textbook on clinical fMRI. It is devoted to preoperative fMRI in patients with brain tumors and epilepsies, which are the most well-established clinical applications. State-of-the-art fMRI procedures are presented, with detailed consideration of the physiological and methodological background, imaging and data processing,...