"…cuts through the nonsense, providing a clear, simple and concise explanation of how websites reach top positions in search engines ..." (PC Advisor, September 2006)
Why do some sites pop to the top when you search? How do you make yours one of them? You create sites that make search engines happy — that’s what search engine optimization is all about. Search Engine Optimization For Dummies has been the leading resource on how to make that happen, and this third edition is completely updated to cover the newest changes, standards, tips, and tricks.
This handy guide shows you how to get more visitors by getting more visibility for your Web site. Find out which search engines matter most, what they look for (and what they hate,) how to get your site included in the best indexes and directories, and the most effective ways to spend your advertising dollars. You’ll discover how to:
- Plan a search engine strategy
- Build pages that offer visibility
- Make your site rank high with the most important search engines
- Avoid things that search engines don’t like (and tricks that might actually get your site penalized)
- Use Google universal search, image search optimization, XML sitemaps, and more
- Choose the right keywords
- Track and measure your results
- Increase your exposure with shopping directories and retailers
- Boost your position with popular links and social networking sites
- Use pay-per-click in ways that get the most bang for your advertising buck
Search Engine Optimization For Dummies, 3rd Edition also helps you skirt some of the pitfalls and become a savvy advertiser. With this book at your side, you’ll never need to fear search engines again!
About the Author
Peter Kent is an e-commerce consultant who specializes in search engine optimization. He is the author of the bestselling previous editions of Search Engine Optimization For Dummies.