Here, in one definitive volume, is all the information you need to understand and use SQL and its implementations in accordance with the established SQL99 standard. Whether you want to learn database programming from scratch, you’d like to sharpen your SQL skills, or you need to know more about programming for a heterogeneous database environment, this book provides the complete menu. Tutorials and code examples in each chapter make it an indispensable reference for every level of expertise.
- Understand the definition and characteristics of relational databases and SQL’s role within RDBMS
- Recognize vendor-specific implementation variations among Oracle, IBM DB2 UDB, and MS SQL Server
- Create and modify RDBMS objects like tables, views, indexes, synonyms, sequences, and schemas using Data Definition Language (DDL)
- Comprehend Data Manipulation Language (DML) from different vendors’ perspectives
- Master single-table select statements and multitable queries from the ground up
- Explore in-depth SQL functions, operators, and data types for major RDBMS implementations
- Discover new SQL developments including XML, OLAP, Web services, and object-oriented features