Packed with examples for learning each of these standard technologies and followed by detailed references to each language, this book provides a total package for moving your web publishing to current standards-based coding.
What you will learn from this book
- A solid background and understanding of HTML and applying XHTML to format specific document elements
- Using CSS to select and format text, margins, colors, and other elements and position them on the page
- Using server scripts and CGI with the popular Perl and Python languages
- Publishing rich, dynamic content using the PHP scripting language
- The importance of following web standards to ensure compatibility with as many user agents as possible, including Internet Explorer, the increasingly important and popular Firefox, and the latest crop of mobile platforms
- How to avoid browser-specific code and deprecated tags and attributes that cause your documents to be unusable for many users
Who this book is for
The book is for programmers and web coders who want to learn web standards-compliant coding.
Wrox Programmer's References are designed to give the experienced developer straight facts on a technology, without hype or unnecessary explanations. They deliver hard information with plenty of practical examples to help you apply these tools to your development projects today.
About the Author
Steve Schafer is a veteran of technology and publishing. He programs in several languages, works with a variety of technologies, and has been published in several technical publications and articles. He currently is the COO for Progeny, an open source-based service and support company. Steve can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.