The war in Iraq is not only controversial, it's also astronomically expensive. Now Rob Simpson answers the question many concerned Americans have been asking: Wasn't there some other way the government could have spent one trillion of our tax dollars?
What We Could Have Done with the Money presents 50 thought-provoking spending alternatives. With a trillion dollars, we could . . .
- Fix Social Security right now: Stop worrying. Stop debating. It's done. Over. Fixed.
- End homelessness in America: House 15 million homeless families, get a million kids out of foster care, and have change to spare!
- Give everyone in the world satellite TV: Can we have the revolution later? I'm watching CSI right now.
- Pay everyone in Iraq to be nice to each other: Hey! If someone tripled your salary for the next 20 years, wouldn't you behave?
- Go Green: Give 100 million car buyers a $10,000 subsidy on their hybrid.
- Or gold . . . : Pave every highway in America with gold leaf.
- Play ball! : Fly everyone in Iraq to America, put them up in a nice hotel for three days with all the extras, take them to a baseball game and fly them home . . . and have a lot leftover.
- Cure cancer: Double research spending for as long as it takes.
. . . not to mention paying all credit card debt, buying everyone in the world an iPod, building 75 million solar-powered homes, and 39 other revealing pipe dreams.
Shocking, thought-provoking, and incredibly entertaining, Simpson takes a hard look at the government's top priorities--both what they are and what they should be.
About the Author
has been a music critic, a radio announcer, and a voiceover actor, but most of his working life has been spent as a political junkie, a smart-ass, and a creative director in the advertising industry. Mr. Simpson currently makes his home in Knoxville, Tennessee. He's been in love with his wife for thirty years.